There is no such thing as bad weather, only unsuitable clothing
~ Alfred Wainwright
Mr. Wainwright has a point. The wildlife we have in the UK doesn’t get to hide inside houses and stay dry like we do, so make time to see some wildlife in the rain during 30 Days Wild this June! If you’re lucky you might get to see something you wouldn’t see at any other time! Just remember to grab your wellies and your waterproofs!
You can see any of the pictures in this post bigger by clicking on them!
I went across to the Somersham Lake again. This is very close to me, and I love seeing how it changes throughout the year. Today I had a very pretty surprise. The yellow flag irises have bloomed early this year! There are still lots of buds around, so I’m looking forward to get photos of more of them on some sunnier days! Another nice moment was watching a black headed gull try to balance on one leg (it did have two legs…it gave up quite quickly!).
Ideas For Rainy Days
1. Brave the rain and share the joy/pleasure/sadness/wetness of the rain with some wildlife like these tufted ducks and this heron
2. Brave the rain again (or hide under a dry spot) and watch the patterns of the rain on the water. Maybe take some photos (you might want to waterproof your camera first though – I cut up a plastic bottle to cover my lens and taped some ziplock bags together to go round it!)
3. If you really don’t want to get wet, head out after the rain and look for water droplets on the leaves of plants
4. Either during or after the rain, head out and try to find some snails, maybe grab some friends, find a nice snail and have a snail race!
5. If there’s a little bit of sun poking through, go and look out for a rainbow!
6. You can even go dancing in the rain or splashing in puddles!
Get outside, go wild, and enjoy the rain!